We were previously called In Control Cymru.
Our alliance is made up of organisations are working to create a model of citizen directed social care services for people in Wales.
We are made up of:
- Local Authorities that commission services
- Organisations that deliver services
- Organisations that represent the people who use services.
Why have we set up the Wales Alliance for Citizen Directed Services?
There has been an ongoing discussion in Wales about the need for a model of self directed services that meets the needs of people in Wales, this ongoing debate has involved the Welsh Assembly Government, Provider organisations, commissioners, and consumer organisations. In Control as an approach despite enthusiastic support from a number of local authorities, provider organisations, and a commitment from All Wales People First to individual budgets has failed to get traction across Wales.
The Association of Directors for Social Services Cymru and the Association of Welsh Adult Services Heads (AWASH) have agreed with the Welsh Assembly to develop an approach to Citizen Centered Support that has wider local authority and assembly support. The steering group of In Control Cymru decided to support this work through the establishment of the Wales Alliance of Citizen Directed Support, it will do this in partnership with In Control UK.
How is the Alliance made up?
The alliance has two components:
- The Steering Group – the steering group is made up of a cross section of Welsh agencies. It is working with ADSS Cymru and AWASH to develop a model of citizen directed support for Wales. It will then support a programme of support to help agencies to change their practice.
- The Provider Network – the provider network is a group of provider organisations who are committed to adopting citizen centered approaches they run a programme of learning events and an action learning set to support this change.
The alliance is working with ten local authorities to implement Self-Directed Support across Wales.
These members are:
- Neath Port Talbot
You can download a copy of our draft policy document here WACDS Policy Document